The all-new BMW 3 Series Sedan (Quick preview)
The BMW 3 Series Sedan is the Munich-based premium carmaker’s most successful model range worldwide and embodies the core of the BMW brand. The world premiere of the seventh-generation sports sedan is the highlight of the Mondial de l’Automobile 2018 show in Paris. And it will celebrate its global debut alongside an array of other new models at the press conference taking place at 9.00 a.m. CET on Tuesday, 2 October 2018. The venue for the press conference will be BMW’s stand upstairs in Hall 5.
At 4.00 p.m. CET the same day, also at the BMW stand, media representatives will be given exclusive insights into the design highlights, new technological features and innovations in the field of connectivity which shape the character of the new BMW 3 Series Sedan. Chairman of the Board of Management at BMW AG Harald Krüger, Board members Pieter Nota (Sales and Brand BMW), Klaus Fröhlich (Development) and Dr Nicolas Peter (Finance), plus a host of experts from various Development departments will be available for in-depth discussions about the new BMW 3 Series Sedan under the banner “Get Together – Get Your Story”.
- Seventh generation of the globally successful ambassador for driving pleasure in a premium midsize car. New BMW 3 Series Sedan benefits from significantly enhanced sporting prowess, a new design language, extensive refinements to its premium ambience and trailblazing driver assistance, control & operation and connectivity technology. World premiere in October 2018 at the Mondial de l’Automobile in Paris, market launch from 9 March 2019.
- New powertrain technology with higher output, greater pulling power and optimised efficiency. Six engine variants available from launch: Four-cylinder petrol models, four-cylinder diesels, plus six-cylinder diesel unit – with outputs ranging from 110 kW/150 hp to 195 kW/265 hp (fuel consumption combined: 5.8 – 4.2 l/100 km [48.7 – 67.3 mpg imp]; CO2 emissions combined: 132 – 112 g/km)*. Intelligent all-wheel drive available from launch in the BMW 320d xDrive Sedan (fuel consumption combined: 4.8 – 4.5 l/100 km [58.9 – 62.8 mpg imp]; CO2 emissions combined: 125 – 118 g/km)*. Over the course of the year, an ultra-sporty BMW M Performance version and an extremely efficient model with plug-in hybrid drive system will be added to the range.
- Noticeably sharper driving dynamics courtesy of extensively upgraded chassis technology, new damper technology, stiffer body structure and suspension mountings, wider tracks, minimised weight, a low vehicle centre of gravity and even 50 : 50 weight distribution.
- Range of chassis options expanded to give extra sporting ability: M Sport suspension with lowered ride height, Adaptive M suspension, variable sport steering, M Sport brakes, electronically controlled M Sport differential for fully-variable locking effect in the rear differential, up to 19-inch light-alloy wheels.
- New interpretation of the familiar BMW sports sedan look uses the brand’s new design language. Clear lines and taut surfaces showcase the car’s modern aesthetic, sportiness and emotion-packed presence. Advantage, Sport Line, Luxury Line and M Sport models enable precise individualisation.
- Optimised aerodynamics. Drag coefficient (Cd) reduced from 0.26 to 0.23 (BMW 320d). Progress underpinned by features including active air flap control, Air Curtains and an almost completely sealed underbody.
- Standard specification gains full-LED headlights and stylishly darkened LED rear lights. LED headlights with extended features, Adaptive LED headlights with BMW Laserlight for non-dazzling high beam (with a range of around 530 metres) and LED front foglamps available as options.
- Greater emphasis on driver focus and refined premium interior ambience. Clearly structured controls, precise use of forms and high-quality details convey modern dynamism and exclusivity.
- More shoulder and elbow room in the front seats, rearward visibility significantly improved, rear compartment easier to get into and offering greater legroom, boot capacity of 480 litres with better usability than the predecessor model. Folding rear seat backrests split 40 : 20 : 40 as standard.
- Significant increase in comfort, premium ambience and individualisation thanks to extensive additions to standard specification and innovative options. Newly designed sports leather steering wheel with multifunction buttons, new panel of buttons for light functions. New, classy design for the gear selector and the control panel around it on the centre console – which includes the iDrive Controller, start/stop button, the buttons for the Driving Experience Control switch, plus the now electrically operated parking brake.
- LED interior lights come as standard, ambient lighting with Welcome Light Carpet as an option. Radio Professional with six speakers as standard, Harman Kardon surround sound system with 16 speakers optional. Two USB ports and Bluetooth interface as standard, telephony with wireless charging available as an option.
- Newly designed seats for the driver and front passenger, optimised seating comfort in the rear, new optional Vernasca leather trim. High-quality materials with precision workmanship. New interior trim variants and instrument panel available in Sensatec. Optional glass roof with 100 millimetres longer transparent surface.
- Optimised acoustic properties: Foam-filled A-pillars and acoustic glass for the windscreen as standard, doors with acoustic glass optional.
- Extensively expanded range of driver assistance systems paves the way to automated driving: Collision and Pedestrian Warning with Braking function, plus Lane Departure Warning system, now standard. Optional Driving Assistant Professional comprises systems including Active Cruise Control with Stop & Go function, Steering and lane control assistant (which helps guide the car through narrow channels), Lane Change Warning system, side collision protection, evasion aid, Cross-Traffic Alert, Priority warning and Wrong-way warning systems. New generation of the BMW Head-Up Display also available.
- New ensemble of systems designed to make parking and manoeuvring easier is unmatched by any rival: Parking Assistant with automated longitudinal and lateral guidance for moving into and out of parking spaces, Reversing Assistant, Park Distance Control, rear view camera and 360-degree cameras.
- New BMW Intelligent Personal Assistant is an intelligent digital personality integrated into the car. No rival allows the driver to give such a system a name of their choice. The Personal Assistant is an expert on the car and also responds to natural voice commands to help the driver with numerous tasks, such as enhancing productivity and on-board entertainment.
- Thoroughly revised control and display system: Standard specification includes instrument cluster with screen size increased from 2.7 to 5.7 inches and Control Display with screen diagonal up from 6.5 to 8.8 inches. Optional BMW Live Cockpit Professional comes with a fully digital 12.3-inch instrument cluster and 10.25-inch Control Display with consistently designed, situation-linked and customisable displays. New BMW Operating System 7.0 also optimises intuitive operation through multimodal operation (by touch with the Control Display, using the iDrive Controller or steering wheel buttons, and with gesture control or voice control).
- Significantly expanded range of digital services from BMW Connected and BMW ConnectedDrive: Remote Software Upgrade keeps the car up-to-date. Parking Space Assistant makes looking for a free spot easier. BMW Digital Key for accessing the car and starting the engine via smartphone.
The Mondial de l’Automobile 2018 is also hosting the show premieres of the new BMW Z4 and new BMW 8 Series Coupe, and the world premieres of the fourth-generation BMW X5 and new BMW M5 Competition (fuel consumption combined: 10.8 – 10.7 l/100 km [26.2 – 26.4 mpg imp]; CO2 emissions combined: 246 – 243 g/km).
Source: BMW Europe